Tuesday, May 4, 2010

10 days...or less

I had my 39 week check-up yesterday...although technically I have 10 days remaining until my due date. Finally - a little more progress - 2 cm dilated and around 50% effaced - maybe a little more. Once again Dr. Markoff told me he thinks I'll progress fast and I should come in on the early side to be safe. But all is well - and maybe he'll see me next week. Fairly uneventful.

The family seems to be recovering, so I think it's safe to start hoping this baby arrives soon. I've still got some lingering congestion and pain in my ribs from all the coughing - but overall I'm feeling much better. Now I've just got the aches and pains (mostly in my back) of being over 38 weeks pregnant. Shafi has a little bit of a sore throat, achiness, sinus pressure - but so far it doesn't seem to be anything serious. He's probably a bit run down from my keeping him up at night - coughing, tossing and turning, snoring - he may actually sleep better after the baby is born.

Leah's eyes appear to be completely normal now, although we'll continue the drops for a couple days to be safe. We did have an extra visit to the pediatrician Monday morning as she woke up with hives on her legs. She was up a few times in the night, so maybe they started much earlier, but around 7:15 she said, "Mommy, I'm scratching myself. Do you want to scratch me?" I asked her to show me where it itched and noticed these little raised welts up and down her legs. Having little familiarity with hives, I called the pediatrician to ask what to do for a rash that was quickly spreading. It suddenly went from a small patch to many patches up and down both legs, from bum to ankle. They told me it was okay to give her Benadryl and to go ahead and bring her into the office. I got a mid-morning appointment - but by the time we got there, the hives were all gone. I showed the doctor a couple pictures I took, but it was hard for her to tell from that. She said that hives that come and go so quickly are not likely an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, which is what I was worried about. So we're continuing as usual and will see whether they reappear, get worse, etc. She did have a few instances in the afternoon and evening of hives showing up on her shoulder/arm and again on her legs, but just like in the morning, they went away quickly. Later today I will be buying Children's Benadryl to give her if they come back. But unless they get really bad, I'm not sure there's a need to return to the doctor - as most likely she's not going to be able to do much else for us anyway. Good news is they're not contagious and mostly just an annoyance. And if there is something environmental that is causing them eventually we will figure it out.

Unfortunately, when the doctor rechecked Leah's ears, she said that the infection isn't gone yet, so we do have to continue giving her the antibiotic - not really a surprise since it's only been 2 days. But Leah absolutely hates the medicine - no bribe seems to work anymore. She fights us and spits much of it out and cries every time we give it to her. The pediatrician said it was fine to mix it with anything. I tried chocolate pudding - one bite and she wouldn't have any more. Going to try yogurt with breakfast. But if that doesn't work, I guess we'll be stuck forcing it down her throat - can't keep wasting doses.

But other than the minor ailments, all is well. And we're not being slowed down much by all of it - we still had a nice weekend taking in some sun.

Leah was up and running and ready to go out at 9 a.m. on Sunday:
Blowing bubbles in the park - slowly but surely Leah is getting more adept at this:
Leah loved the Abby Cadabby cupcake at Cooper's birthday party:
And she also loved being tickled by her friends Avery and Jack:

No comments: