Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Contractions contractions contractions

But still just Braxton Hicks...I think. I have been having much stronger (i.e., somewhat painful) contractions for a couple of days. I have spent lots of time checking the clock to see if there is any regularity to them. There isn't. So no true signs of labor yet. Just serious discomfort. Since it's now after midnight, I am now officially 39 weeks pregnant. And yes, I'm up in the middle of the night because the contractions woke me.

On a brighter note, I bought a new used temporary double stroller today. Yes, it's as confusing as it sounds. I decided a couple months ago that I want to get the Baby Jogger City Select double stroller. Unfortunately it just came out at the beginning of the year and was more popular than anticipated and everyone is out of it. Having tested it out on the floor at Buy Buy Baby, I thought it was fair to buy it there, plus it'll be helpful to get it locally and thus be able to take it in if I have a problem. My very generous Uncle Howard offered it up as a baby gift and got us the stroller, double kit, car seat adapter and parent console. The order was place in March and I was told it would be in late April or early May. Well, now BBB says it will be another 4 to 8 weeks. I expressed to them my frustration with that - and on the bright side they are going to ship me each item as they come in - for free (saving me the hassle of pickup or expense of home delivery).

So, given that it will be hot, and I really want the freedom afforded by a double stroller, I was thrilled when someone posted their Joovy Caboose Tandem for sale on the local parents' listserve. She lives just a few blocks away and used the stroller only for a year or so. It's really in good condition and she was asking only $45 for what retails at over $150. Once I was in contact with her, I found that there's one problem. She never used the car seat adapter that comes with the stroller, which would allow me to put the car seat on the stroller - the only way it is suitable for a newborn - and she don't know if she still has it. She is going to look for it this weekend. So we settled on $35 instead. And if she finds the missing piece I will buy it from her for $10. If not, I can order it from Joovy for $21 plus $9 shipping. I may be able to find someone in the neighborhood willing to sell or loan me theirs, but if not, even for another $30 I think it will be worth it to buy it. And hey - when the Baby Jogger stroller comes in, I can probably turn around and sell the Joovy stroller on the parents' listserve for about the same price I bought it for.

Meanwhile, I am proud to say that my growing discomfort isn't slowing me down too much. I have been taking Leah to her classes, running errands, hitting the playground, and being a pretty fun mommy for being this pregnant. And Leah has been repaying me by sleeping pretty well. She slept through the night last night, which she had not done for awhile. And she's been going to sleep without a fight both at night and for naps the last few days. I actually had to wake her after just over 2 hours yesterday - if I let her sleep longer I risk her not going to bed easily at night. She woke up happy - just sat up in bed and said, "Mommy, do you want to do my pigtails now?" She's loving having pigtails - both for the relief from the heat and the look - and also because she gets to watch about 15 minutes of Sesame Street while I do them.

Leah with her pigtails in ready to hit the playground Tuesday afternoon:
Leah having fun experimenting with her dot paints after a thunderstorm sent us home early from the playground:
Leah sleeping soundly just before I woke her from her nap on Wednesday - note puppy clutched in her arm (his usual spot) and Dolly tucked in neatly next to her (I did not do that - Leah must have decided on that position for Dolly, as she was in her arms when Leah went to bed):
Leah enjoying the playground - and proving that she definitely runs faster than the camera's shutter speed:
Leah and Avery give each other the best hugs - and I managed to capture this one pretty perfectly:

No comments: