Saturday, March 15, 2008

Relief - the growth spurt has passed!

Our little 9 pound binge-eater seems to be back to normal. She slept for 3 hours in Shafi's arms last night after he got home. And after feeding her at 9 p.m., she slept until 1 a.m. then until 4 a.m., and 8 a.m. And at each feeding she ate only for 15-20 minutes - much more normal.

But her few days of constant eating definitely upped my milk supply, which I guess is what is supposed to happen. After feeding her at 11:30 this morning, I pumped at 12:30 - and got 2 ounces from each side (well, 1.8 and 2.2). It was amazing to watch the milk flow - only a few short weeks ago I would pump for 15 or 20 minutes and be lucky to get 1/2 an ounce total from the two. Hopefully my very sore nipples will heal over the next day or two.

Yesterday I experimented with multiple methods of carrying Leah and getting her to sleep. The sling is still the best, but she was happy in the BabyBjorn, too. I just found that it put her too high in front of me - harder to do things like fix a sandwich (and eat it) and fold laundry because I had to tilt my head to peer around her.


And I was able to trick her into sleeping in the swing for a few minutes. I put her in the car seat - she cried. Then I swung the car seat for a couple minutes - she fell asleep. Then I quickly put it into the swing frame and turned the swing on - she stayed asleep - for 5 minutes. I tried 3 times - 4 minutes the 2nd time and 5 minutes the 3rd time. Oh well - we'll try again next week - maybe she'll get used to it.

No comments: