Monday, April 7, 2008

Leah is 2 months old!

I can't believe it's been 2 months! I guess I say that at every milestone - but it's true every time. She's become much more interactive this month, which makes her lots of fun for Shafi and I. She's become a very smiley baby, which is so rewarding for us. This morning she woke up at 7:30, which seems to be her usual morning wake-up. As soon as I unswaddled her, she started stretching and smiling. I love that. It makes having had to drag myself out of bed with too little sleep almost forgotten.

Her 2 month check-up isn't until Friday. But I'm sure she's grown lots since last month. And no doubt it will be traumatic for the whole family for her to get her shots. But I'm glad that she'll be immunized against so many scary diseases and that we can start going out and about more and being less concerned about being around other babies and kids.

We had a very busy weekend, but all went well. Saturday my friend Jess and I hosted a baby shower for our friend Jamie. It was at my place, but I took the easy way out and had it catered, so it really wasn't that much work. Shafi helped out a lot. Friday night we cleaned up the living room and moved all the baby stuff into Leah's room. And Saturday morning he helped clean up while I fed Leah and grabbed a quick shower and got dressed. Then he took care of her while I set up. And then he and Jess went and picked up the food while I did a quick feeding just before the shower started. I decorated a bit and thought it looked pretty are the pics I took before everyone arrived.

The shower went off without a hitch and I think the 12 ladies in attendance had a nice time. Jamie got some great gifts including lots of very cute clothes for her soon to be born daughter.

Yesterday my friend Dan got married in Philadelphia to a great girl named Becca. The wedding was at 2, and they asked me to be a witness for the Ketubah signing, so we had to be there at 1:30. We had everything packed up and ready to go Saturday night. Shafi went and picked up the rental car while I did a last feeding. And we hit the road about 9 a.m. Sunday morning. We took Leah to Shafi's cousin Shanta's apartment, which is only about 6 blocks from the Crystal Tea Room, where the wedding was. We hung out with Shanta and her friend Ray for a bit and showed her all the stuff we brought for taking care of Leah. We did a diaper change and swaddling with her and got the 2 feedings of expressed milk ready to go. And then we headed out around 1:15.

Shanta called around 3, which was just when the ceremony was ending. Apparently Leah was crying - a lot. She had been changed and fed and Shanta was having trouble getting her to sleep. She didn't sound too worried, but she wanted to make sure there wasn't something else she should be doing. We suggested swaddling Leah and then pacing with her while shushing and rubbing her back. Of course we offered to come help. We figured since we were so close by we could always run over there and then go back to the wedding. But Shanta said she'd give it another half hour and if she hadn't calmed her she would call us back. I waited 15 minutes and called to check on her. She had fallen asleep. Whew! We were quite relieved.

We did check in a few more times, but we still had a nice time at the wedding. It was definitely weird being away from Leah for the whole afternoon, and we both missed her. We left after dinner, around 6:30, as we didn't want Shanta to have to deal with Leah for too long, and we still had about a 2 hour drive back to NY. Shanta said she had no problems the rest of the afternoon. Leah took both bottles (2 feedings) and was sleeping soundly on Shanta's bed when we got there. We got her up and fed her and hit the road about 7:30. And we were home and unpacked and in bed by 10:30.

All in all a very nice, although very busy and tiring, weekend!

No comments: