Monday, April 14, 2008

Leah's 2 month check-up

We took Leah to the pediatrician on Friday for her 2 month check-up. I asked Shafi to join, as I thought I'd be a bit traumatized by her getting her first set of shots. Luckily, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But I was still happy to have him along for the occasion.

Leah is a healthy strong little lady. She's now 11 pounds, which is 50th percentile for weight. She is 23.5 inches long, which is 86th percentile for height. And her head circumfrence is in the 75th percentile. (Whew!)

We asked our many questions - some stupid - some not quite so stupid. Yes we should use sunscreen when taking her out on sunny days, but first we should test a little on the back of her leg. I already bought the Aveeno baby sunscreen, so we'll try it out one of these days. Yes, she does indeed have big feet. That one wasn't so much a question as just wanting confirmation because I have an odd fascination with my daughter's huge feet - obviously one of the unlucky traits she has received from me. Those were really among the most interesting of our questions, so I won't bore you with the rest.

The doctor pointed out that when Leah was fussing and I talked to her she recognized my voice and it did calm her down some. That was very nice to hear and see. I hadn't really noticed that myself, but now that she pointed it out, it is quite obvious. And of course I love that she knows my voice.

She had 3 shots - one in the left thigh and 2 in the right. I held her in my lap and Dr. O'Connor was super quick with the shots. One two three and then slapped on band-aids (Looney Tunes of course). All over in seconds. Leah was already fussing from having been woken up and undressed and poked and prodded and re-dressed. But she definitely let out a bit of a shreik when the needles went in. It was sad to hear and see that, but as soon as it started it was over and seemingly forgotten. I then put her to the breast and fed her and she immediately calmed down. And in case you're wondering, I did not cry (nor pass out).

She was a bit fussy Friday afternoon, so I gave her some infant Tylenol. Then she was extra sleepy on Saturday. Her naps still weren't very long, but she wasn't awake for long in between. And by Sunday she was back to normal. Her legs don't seem to be bothering her at all, as far as we can tell anyway.

This was actually before the doctor's appointment. Maybe she knew what was coming?

And this was after. Obviously no memory of her earlier trauma.

No comments: