Friday, August 22, 2008

The better to eat you with, my dear

Yes, that's right...Leah has a tooth! It actually broke through the gums on Wednesday - I could feel its sharp edge. Then yesterday I could see it a little bit. And today it was up just high enough that I could capture it on film (well, digital media anyway).
I think that may have contributed to her not sleeping well Tuesday and Wednesday nights...and the few nights prior to that. But last night she actually slept through the night! She went to sleep around 7:30 and didn't get up until 6:45 this morning. She did let out a single cry around 4:30, but I didn't go in and she obviously went back to sleep. And this morning she was happy as can be. I left her playing in her crib until about 7:15 and then gave her a bottle. Let's hope we get the same thing tonight!

We also made some progress on the solid feeding today. I gave her applesauce this morning and she did eat it - but not so happily. Then this evening I introduced oatmeal. She loved it! She opened her mouth before I even had the next bite ready and she closed her mouth around the spoon and swallowed almost everything (a little bit still came dripping back out - but she just needs more practice). I had only made 2 teaspoons of oatmeal mixed with 4 teaspoons of formula, and she seemed so happy with it that when that was done I made a second batch of the same size. With about 2 bites to go she started to fuss a little, so we finished that up and it seemed to be the perfect amount. I think I'll try mixing it with the applesauce in the morning and see how it goes. I don't want to count my chickens too early, but maybe all I needed was to use oatmeal instead of rice cereal.

We also introduced the sippy cup this morning. She didn't mind drinking from it - we practiced with just water - but she wasn't able to hold it upright enough by herself. We'll keep practicing. Or maybe we'll try a straw next.

And a bonus pic of Leah being super cute and happy today. She has been even more interested in the crib mirror lately. More than once today I found her looking in the mirror and babbling - talking to the baby in the mirror.

No comments: