Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Making feeding progress?

Well, it is so hard to tell if we're really making progress or we just happened to have a good morning. First things first...Leah slept through the night. She went to sleep right about 7 p.m. Around 5 she cooed for about 10 minutes and then cried for about 2 minutes and then apparently went back to sleep...I didn't get up. I didn't hear her again until about 6:40. I waited a couple minutes and then went and got her. She was happy as can be. I changed her and put her down to play while I brushed my teeth and washed my face and made her a bottle.

She finished a 6 ounce bottle and played for a few minutes while I emptied the dishwasher and made her some breakfast. I made a few tablespoons of oatmeal cereal and I got out the jar of bananas remaining from yesterday which was about 3/4 full.

I should recap the last couple of days before I go into this morning's success - can't remember where I left off in blogging so sorry if I repeat myself. I made oatmeal for her a few days ago...and she loved it. For the first time she actually opened her mouth for each bite, closed around the spoon, and seemed to enjoy eating. She finished what I had made and I made her more. So for the past few days I pretty much just gave her oatmeal. No point in fighting to get her to eat when I want her to enjoy eating...and she apparently only likes oatmeal.

Then yesterday I decided I ought to try to sneak in just a little bit of fruit. I put about 1/2 of a tablespoon of banana in with several tablespoons of oatmeal. It was a noticeable difference. She still ate it, but not as much of it and not as enthusiastically. The banana does have a strong smell, but basically I think there's no sneaking things in for Leah. She's just a finicky eater at the moment.

So this morning I started with the oatmeal and after a couple of bites I gave her some banana. She ate it...and opened her mouth for the next bite. She ate about half the jar of banana plus a couple tablespoons of oatmeal. Definitely the biggest meal she's ever eaten. And she seemed happy until the end...which is when I figured it was enough and I stopped.

Maybe the timing was better. She had the bottle just after 7 and "breakfast" at about 7:30. So she was somewhat full from the bottle but obviously not too full. And she wasn't so hungry that she was too impatient for the solids. We'll see how "dinner" goes and try this first thing in the morning feeding again tomorrow.

No comments: