Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Rough morning

Last night wasn't quite as good as the couple of nights previous. Leah woke up around 11:30 and had gotten an arm out of the swaddle. I reswaddled her and fed her. She only ate for a couple of minutes and was falling asleep. I tried to wake her to get her to keep eating, but it seemed she wasn't really hungry. I put her down in the crib at 11:45 and she cried lightly on and off until about midnight. In retrospect, I think I should have reswaddled her and left her, as it was too early for her middle of the night feeding and she probably had just woken up because of the swaddle.

Then she woke up at 2. I debated leaving her, but her cry sounded like a hungry cry so I went to her. She had a pretty full feeding. I put her down about 2:15 and she was just barely awake - opening her eyes a little as I moved her to the crib. She let out a couple of little peeps but then went right to sleep.

The real problem then was that she woke up at 5:25 this morning. She made some happy sounds for a few minutes and then started crying. By about 5:40 the crying started to get pretty hard. Shafi and I discussed that we don't want her waking up this early so we need to stick to our guns of leaving her until 7 a.m. I said I thought she'd cry for half an hour and go back to sleep and I don't think she can actually cry for an hour and a half.

I was wrong. She has been crying on and off since then. Now it's 6:55 and in 5 minutes I'm going to go change her and feed her and hope that we can have some happy playtime for at least an hour before it's time to put her down to nap.

Hopefully we can get her on a good schedule today through Sunday and be able to continue it next week but not have to be quite as rigid. For this week I will skip other plans if they don't fit in between naps, but I don't want to be a slave to Leah's schedule and according to the sleep book I've been reading, I shouldn't have to be.

Now I'm going to go comfort my poor little girl and keep telling myself that this is all for her own good as well as mine and Shafi's.

No comments: