Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sleep Training Day 6

Last night Leah woke up at midnight but her cry didn't sound hungry. When I went in I found that she had an arm out of the swaddle. I reswaddled her and put her back down. I figured if she hadn't gone back to sleep by 1 a.m. then I would feed her. She cried until 12:57 and then fell asleep. She slept until 4 a.m. Then I fed her and put her back down. She fussed for a few minutes but fell back to sleep.

At 5:30 a.m. she cried out and whined for a couple of minutes but then fell back to sleep until 6:25 a.m. Still earlier than 7, obviously, but much better than if she had stayed up at 5:30.

I waited until 7 to feed her and then we played a little. At 8 a.m. we went out for a walk. I was hoping that would help her take a better morning nap. We stopped at the hardware and drug stores and then on the way home Leah fell asleep - at 8:45. I had planned on coming home and feeding her around 9 and putting her down for a nap, but since she fell asleep I decided to go sit on the promenade and read a book.

Unfortunately after only about 25 minutes Leah got woken up by a nearby screaming child. She was obviously still tired, though, so we came home and I fed her and put her down. She cried for ten minutes - from 10 to 10:10 - and then she slept until noon!

Then we went out for another walk and lunch. Leah napped in the stroller from about 1 to 1:30 and again from 3:30 to 4. But then I wanted her to take another nap around 5 so that she wouldn't get too cranky before bedtime. I fed her and put her down at 4:45. She cried until 5:15. I had hoped she would sleep for half an hour, so I was just going to get her and consider it a failed nap when she stopped crying and fell asleep...but then she woke up 5 minutes later and started crying again. So I got her up.

We played with her for a bit but she was obviously tired - rubbing her eyes and starting to fuss a bit by about 5:45. So I started the bedtime routine at 6. I fed her at 6:30 p.m. and she fell into a sound sleep after about 10 minutes. I picked her up and burped her but she was out cold. So I put her down in the crib and walked out. On one hand I was happy there was no crying, but on the other hand, I'm not sure we can consider it sleep training when she fell asleep at the breast.

So we'll see how she does tonight. I'm hopeful that she'll go until at least 1, have a feeding, and then go until at least 6:30. Cross your fingers for us!

Oh yeah - we had lunch today with my friend Jen and her friend Caryn. Caryn is Leah's biggest non-relative fan and avid reader of the blog. She was quite happy to meet Leah in person. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me...but I got a cell phone picture:

No comments: