Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sleep Training Day 5

Today was a mixed bag. Leah did calm down after I went to her at 7 a.m. Once I got her on the changing table she was all smiles. But around 8:30 she started getting pretty fussy. I fed her, hoping she'd then give me a long nap. She fell so sound asleep at the breast that when I picked her up to burp her she didn't even wake up. She was down in the crib at 8:50 a.m. But she was awake at 9:25. I let her cry until the hour was up - 9:50 a.m.

We played for a bit but she was pretty fussy - probably some combination of being tired and being unhappy about having spent so much time crying. At 11 I put her down for a nap and she fussed for 5 minutes but then fell into a deep sleep. I kept expecting her to wake up...and finally at 2:30 I woke her. Yes - a 3.5 hour nap!

She woke up very happy. We went out and she was calm and happy in the stroller for over an hour. Around 4:30 she started to fuss a bit so we headed home. I fed her and got her down about 5:15 p.m. I was planning to wake her at 6, but amazingly she woke up on her own about a minute before. A 45 minute nap in the evening seemed about right to me.

Then we started her bedtime routine at 6:30. I put her down in the crib at 7:15 p.m. Tonight she cried on and off for about 25 minutes. First she cried for a minute and then she was quiet until about 7:20. She continued an on again off again pattern, which seemed strange to us. She wasn't just pausing to catch her breath - she would really be silent for a couple of minutes and then begin crying again. So we were surprised that she went on like that for so long, but it was always a mild cry, so it wasn't so bad to listen to.

Hopefully we'll have only 1 night waking tonight and she'll sleep a little later in the morning.


No comments: