Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sleep Training Day 4

Well, I think we can officially call nighttime sleep training a success. Last night after our off schedule she slept until 3:30 and had a quick feeding and back to sleep. She then woke up at 5 and I was worried that she thought it was morning, but I was able to do a quick feeding in the dark and put her back down. Then she woke up at 6 and thought it was morning, but that seems to be her norm. Considering the fact that she pretty much went to bed at 4 p.m., I can't really complain that she was up at 6 a.m.

But naps seem to have been the casualty from getting the better night sleep. The problem being that she needs the naps, so she's getting fussy by late morning / early afternoon. She napped around 7:30 but only for 40 minutes. And then we went out and she napped in the stroller around 11:30, but again only for 40 minutes. Then when we got home I put her down around 4 and I think she would have done the same thing as last night, but I wanted to try the alternative...waking her up. So I woke her at 6 p.m. I fed her and played with her a little, but calmly. We read a book and then we started the bedtime routine about 6:45. Same as before - I bathed with her, dried her, lotioned her, dressed and swaddled her, fed her, burped her, and put her down in the crib.

I put her down at 7:30 p.m. on the dot. She had a bit of a whimpery cry for about a minute and then she was quiet. At 7:35 she again had a little whimpery cry for a minute or so. Not sure exactly when she actually went to sleep, but we didn't hear another peep after that.

So now that nighttime sleep training has obviously worked and she can put herself to sleep, it's time for daytime training. She'll still get one night feeding around 1 a.m. - give or take - whenever she wakes up. And then if she wakes up other times, I'm going to leave her alone and let her cry it out if need be. Also if she wakes up before 7 in the morning, I'm going to leave her until 7. And we'll also start nap training. I'll swaddle her and rock her for a minute and put her down to put herself to sleep. And if her morning and midday naps are shorter than an hour I'll leave her alone until the hour is up.

Hopefully we'll be able to do the schedule I had planned on before:
8:30-9:30 Nap 1
12:00-1:00 Nap 2
3:30-4:00 Nap 3

If she can't be awake quite that long then it may be more like:
8:30-9:30 Nap 1
11:30-12:30 Nap 2
2:30-3:00 Nap 3
4:30-5:00 Nap 4

Or if her naps are longer than an hour we'll modify as needed.

Shafi and I are incredibly pleased that sleep training has gone so well so far. And I'm very optimistic that we'll get the day worked out pretty quickly too.




No comments: