Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Leah does not quite get the mesh feeder

I tried giving Leah some fruit in the mesh feeder today. They're all the rage with the 6-12 month set. You put some fruit or other soft food in this little mesh bag that is attached to a handle and the baby sucks the food through the mesh - eating the food without the choking hazard.

We started with banana. I gave Leah a few little pieces first and she ate them. Then I gave her a chunk in the mesh feeder. She didn't seem to know what to do with it. I held it and put the end in her mouth and she kept blowing on it - the way she spits food or plays with her sippy cup. I tried squeezing some banana through it so that she would understand that she could suck the food out of it...no difference. I gave it to her while I cleaned up from breakfast - she banged it on the tray and dropped it into her chair - getting banana on the highchair and herself.

So then after lunch - mine and hers - I gave her some honeydew. I put a nice chunk in the feeder and tried the same routine - no different. Even when I squeezed it so that the juice was dripping from it, she tasted it and then started blowing on it. I suppose it's possible that she didn't like the honeydew...but I think it's more likely that she was just confused by what to do with the mesh feeder.

I guess we'll try again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I wish you put up a picture of Leah attempting to use this. I think I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it either, I can't say I blame her!

Elissa said...

I'll try to get a picture next time. But pretty much just picture Leah holding the handle but instead of bringing it to her mouth banging it on the highchair tray.